Last Updated: 20/01/2017
Tags: Tips To Sell Your Property
If you want to sell your house quickly for the best price possible, you need to show-case it in the right way so that others can see all the potential it has to offer as their future dream home.
If you can afford to push the boat out, some major renovations such as a new kitchen or bathroom could be a great investment, as you will recoup what you spent and lots more besides. For many though, the aim is to get the ‘wow’ factor without having to splash the cash, as many people prefer not to spend a huge amount on a property they will soon leave behind.
There are also lots of simple and cost effective measures you can take by ‘staging’ for sale:
1. It goes without saying that a good spring clean can go a long way to showing a home in its best light, but if you are not keen on household chores, you might want to pay a professional to give your home a really good deep clean.
2. A lick of paint in a light neutral colour can work wonders to freshen a place up, but take care not to make the home too much of a blank canvas - try to retain some personality.
3. Address any small issues that could make the place appear scruffy by filling in cracks in plaster, replacing lightbulbs where necessary and fixing minor maintenance problems such as loose door hinges or handles etc.
4. Get rid of any clutter that can make rooms appear untidy and cramped. Use storage boxes and pack any unused items away out of sight. Don’t go too mad though or the house might look cold and un-lived in. But simplicity is important so that viewers can appreciate the space, without being distracted by clutter.
5. One of the key things people look for in a property is lots of light, so if you have big windows with plenty of natural light make sure you mention this and show it off, by cleaning the windows inside and out, and removing any large plants, ornaments or clutter on windowsills that could block light out.
6. If your home tends to be dark in places, invest in some lamps to brighten up any dark corners. Clever use of mirrors can also help to bounce light back into the room and make it feel bigger.
7. Bathrooms and kitchens sell houses, so if yours are looking a bit tired there are a few things you can do to give them a lift without spending much. Some new fluffy towels in a coordinating colour, a bright new blind, and a good clean in all the nooks and crannies can work wonders. You could also whiten the grouting and replace the seals around the bath if you have time, as these tend to gather mould and mildew and can start to look a little manky.
8. The smell of a home can make or break a prospective purchase, so ensure that as well as looking nice your home also smells great – cigarette smoke, pets and cooking smells can put buyers off, while the smell of freshly baked bread or coffee can make a home seem more inviting.
9. Don’t forget the outside of the home too, as this is the first thing people will see. First impressions count, so paint the front door and window sills, cut the grass, clear the weeds, trim the hedges and make sure fences and gates are in good condition. You might also want to add a splash of colour by planting some pretty bedding plants or hanging baskets.
10. If you have any washing drying on radiators around the home, remember to move it out of sight before a viewing – there is nothing more off-putting than seeing somebody else’s smalls all over the place!
11. If you are showing viewers round yourself take a bit of time to consider the less obvious positives about your home beforehand and make sure you mention these. Viewers might not realise that the bathroom has underfloor heating for example, or that you have just purchased a brand new boiler, so make sure you tell them.
12. If your property is vacant whilst on the market, it’s important to ensure it’s not empty. Empty, unfurnished properties don’t spark the imagination with viewers. Furnishing and dressing the property for photos and viewings makes a huge difference. They will be able to see how the furniture fits the space and they will be able to imagine themselves living there. Always bear in mind that properties are sold on emotion, so sell the vision to them!
If you’d like any more advice on selling your home, come and talk to us, we’d be very happy to help.